THE SILENCE OF THE FLIES
VENEZUELA 90 MIN
Marcelina and Mercedes live in different villages at Venezuelan Andes. They share a tragic story: their daughters committed a suicide pact, like many did the last years in these surroundings. Through their memories of loss and grief, the film takes us into a world of tangible pain where silence became a significant feature of this idyllic but violent natural setting.
Venezuelan Filmmaker and Anthropologist with a PhD at the University of Bath, and Head of the Department of Development Anthropology at the Venezuelan Institute of Social Research (IVIC). He has used documentary filmmaking as an alternative way of understanding different social realities, and disseminating it to audiences beyond the academic world, especially to those who participate in his films.
His Opera prima Our History is on the Land (2008), about the Venezuelan Indigenous Peoples struggle participated in 15 international festivals and was awarded with two prizes and a jury s special mention.
With the Silence of the flies, Eliezer Arias was selected to participate in the VII Cinematographic Development Project Course Carolina Foundation & Casa de America (Madrid, 2009), under the tutorial of Lucrecia Martel and Felipe Vega, the II Analysis and Clinic Laboratory of Cinematographic Project from Iberoamerica: BoliviaLab (La Paz, 2010), the II IBERDOC in Tepoztlan (Mexico) under tutorial of Director Javier Corcuera, the III DOCULAB, 2011 (during the 26° Guadalajara International Film Festival 2011), and finally, IDFA Academy Summer School (Amsterdam, 2012).
- 26th IDFA, Netherlands 2013
- RDOC - IDFF of Dominican Republic and the Caribbean 2014 — Best Documentary Feature
- FICCI 54th International Film Festival of Cartagena de Indias, Colombia 2014
- 26th Rencontres de Toulouse, France 2014
- 17th Spanish Film Festival in Malaga, Spain 2014
- FICG 29th International Film Festival of Guadalajara, Mexico 2014
- 18th FAM Florianópolis Audiovisual Mercosur, Brazil 2014
- 11th Festival Internacional Piriápolis de Película, Uruguay 2014
- Festival Internacional UNASUR CINE, Argentina 2014
- Festival Entre Largos Y Cortos de Oriente, Venezuela 2014 — Best long-feature documentary
- 6th Muestra de Cine Centro e Iberoamericano, Nicaragua 2014
- 29th Festival de Cinema Latino Americano a Trieste, Italy 2014
- 14th Festival Internacional de Cine FENAVID, Bolivia 2014 — Best Documentary
- Intimate Lens – Festival of Visual Anthropology, Italy 2014 — Best Documentary
- Vox Feminae Festival in Zagreb, Croatia 2014
- 8th Festival Internacional de Cine Documental ATLANTIDOC, Uruguay 2014 — Special award for best documentary, Best Cinematography and Best Director
- 36th Festival Internacional del Nuevo Cine Latinoamericano, Cuba 2014
Main Competition 2015