THE GROUND WE WON
NEW ZEALAND 90 MIN
A cinéma-vérité study of manhood as observed through the rites and rituals of a rural New Zealand rugby club. With great bawdiness and camaraderie, an eclectic rugby team of farmers strive to redeem themselves from a long run of bitter loses. In the face of the hefty demands of farming and fatherhood, the Saturday game becomes the focus of the men’s passions and the ground on which their worth is proved.
The Ground We Won is Christopher Pryor’s second feature as director, cinematographer and editor after his first documentary feature How Far Is Heaven (2012), for which he was awarded a New Zealand Film Award for Best Cinematography, as well as being nominated for Best Documentary and Best Director among others.
- Locarno's Semaine de la Critique 2105
- Warsaw Film Festival 2015
- Melbourne International Film Festival 2015
- Antenna Documentary Film Festival, Sydney 2015
- New Zealand International Film Festival 2015
- Montreal World Film Festival 2015
- Camden International Film Festival 2015
- Big Sky Documentary Film Festival 2016
- Docpoint Helsinki 2016
Main Competition 2016