THERE IS NO WAY BACK HOME
PERU - ARGENTINA 71 MIN, 2021
In 1958 Robert Gottlieb was forced to renounce his Romanian citizenship in order to migrate to Israel. 50 years later his daughter Yaela (re)builds that route but her father's story does not match the places she knew. Family mandates and ghosts of the past get materialize. He from Lima and she from Buenos Aires, for the first time, find an undeniable gap that leads her to wonder: who is her father?
Born in Lima, 1992. Has a degree in Communication Sciences and Cinema. Her work explores photography, cinema and video from the crossroads between territory, the displacement, and (dis) constructors of identity. Yaela directed short ﬁlms and experimental videos that have been part of Punto de Vista, ARCOmadrid, Lima Film festival, CC Recoleta, MAR Museo de Arte Contemporáneo, Alchemy Film and Moving Image Festival, among others. Received a scholarship from the National Fund for the Arts and from the Culture Ministery of Peru to make her ﬁrst feature ﬁlm "No hay regreso a casa" which is part of the serie “Ficciones fronterizas”.
There is no way back home the second installment of the series «Ficciones Fronterizas», a trilogy of audiovisual essays that I have been working on since 2017. They are non-fiction works with which I investigate around displacement, the transformations they produce, mobile identities, and how all of that can become moving image. This is my first film.
- Punto de Vista, Spain
- Festival de Cine de Lima, Peru
- Cosquin Film Festival — Best Film, Argentina
- Al Este International Film Festival — Best Film, Colombia
- Festival de Cine de Trujillo — Best docummentary, Peru
- Festival Hecho por mujeres — Best docummentary, Peru
- Transcinema Film Festival, Peru
- Semana de Cine de Lima, Peru
- Corriente Film Festival in Arequipa, Peru
- Doqumenta Film Festival, Mexico
Doker 2022 — Main Competition