ARE YOU SLEEPING, BROTHER JAKOB?
AUSTRIA 80 MIN, 2018
Are You Sleeping, Brother Jakob? is a very considerate, personal film about both farewell and reunion. The scattered archival footage, showing the brothers as children and teens – on mountain tops in summer, swimming together, wildly dancing and cavoting – impart an unforeseen levity. The search starts in the Tyrolean valley Lareintal and eventually ends in a hotel room in Porto with the realisation that this is not particularly a film about sadness but the necessity of grief. And about finding those who accompony us in life.
- 37. Filmfestival Max Ophüls Preis 2018
- Diagonale – Festival of Austrian Film 2018
- Visions du réel - International Documentary Film Festival 2018
- Mumbai International Film Festival 2018
- DokFest München 2018
- Kitzbuehel Film Festival 2018
DOKer 2019 — Main Competition